September 10, 2011

Vegan Apple Crumb Pie, Twitter, and Contest Reminder!

Lots to talk about today. Let's start with the recipe. So I've been trying to be really healthy and cut out all processed foods, sugar, gluten, etc. And I've been doing a good job and feeling excellent as a result. (Hello, energy! Where have you been all my life?) So, I really failed at life when I made this pie, but we had so many apples from visiting that farm last weekend and can you honestly refrain from making apple pie when you have a bunch of golden/red perfectly ripe Gala apples staring you down? Yeah, I didn't think so. Not to mention Johnny specifically requested an Apple Crumb Pie, and he's been so good about eating all my bean/rice concoctions lately that I had to give him what he wanted just this one time.

Some crates at the farm. I could live in there. 
I'd never really made a pie from scratch before. It seems like more of an East Coast-Yankee thing to do. My family wasn't really so into the whole baking thing, unless you count my Uncle Ernie's baklava which was LEGENDARY. I was a little intimidated to make my own crust and while the crust dough was super crumbly and had to be pressed into the bottom of my pie plate rather than rolled out, it baked up great and held together well. The apple filling is outrageously good - crispy, cinnamon-y and everything an apple pie should be - and the crumb topping... wowza! The hint of nutmeg is reminiscent of egg nog and the crumbs added the perfect crunch. Top it off with some non-dairy vanilla ice cream or vegan whip if you know what's good for you! This pie would be right at home on any Thanksgiving table and I swear your hardcore meat-eating family won't even know the difference!

Johnny was super stoked about this pie and said it was the best pie he's ever had, but that could have been the sugar talking. That's the trick: you feed someone nothing but kale and quinoa for awhile and then anything different you cook will be "the best thing ever!" Tricky.

Guess who finally joined Twitter? That's right, I finally caved in to yet another social media platform. I'm still not entirely sure I understand the point of Twitter, but it can be tough to promote this blog and if it helps me do that, it'll be worth it. Blogs are a labor of love, y'all! Most of us never get paid a cent and do it just for the love of writing/ photography/ oversharing info about our lives. :-)  You can follow me on Twitter @OddCoupleEats.

Just a reminder about the Gardein Giveaway! You only have until Tuesday to enter. If you follow me on Twitter that'll be yet another way to enter to win. Make sure you add a comment to the original contest post letting me know you're following me. Tell your family and friends about it, too, Gardein products really are delicious and getting three for free is an amazing deal! Now, onto the sinful and lip-smacking pie recipe...

A little monochromatic, but you get the idea...

Vegan Apple Crumb Pie
(Based on this recipe by Baked by Rachel)
Serves 8

Crust ingredients:
1 1/4C flour
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
6 tbsp cold Earth Balance
4-6 tbsp ice water

In a food processor blend flour, sugar, salt and Earth Balance. Blend until Earth Balance bits are pea size or smaller. Begin adding 1 tbsp ice water at a time until you reach the consistency you are happy with (mine was pretty crumbly, but this worked out fine). Form dough into a ball, wrap in plastic and chill for at least one hour. *Alternately you can mix everything together by hand with forks or a pastry blender.

Filling ingredients:
5 1/2-6C apples, peeled, cored and sliced (I used 4 Gala Apples)
1/2C brown sugar
2 tbsp flour
1 3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1 tsp vanilla
1/2-1 tbsp lemon juice

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare dry ingredients in a large bowl, set aside. Peel and slice apples. Transfer apple slices to a large bowl with dry ingredients. Top off with vanilla and lemon juice. Toss to coat apples well. Set aside for 10-15 minutes while you prep the dough.

Roll out dough accordingly to fit your desired pie dish. If the dough is too crumbly to roll out, transfer it to the pie plate and press into the bottom of the plate and about halfway up the sides. If you can roll out the dough, make it 2-3" larger than your pie plate, transfer it to the plate and press along the bottom and sides, then trim any excess. 

Topping ingredients:
1 1/4C flour
1/2C brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/2C Earth Balance, melted

In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients. Pour cooled melted Earth Balance into bowl. Toss and cut until small to medium sized chunks form. Break up large chunks as needed. Using a spoon, sprinkle crumb topping over entire pie.
Cover pie loosely with foil. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 and continue baking for an additional 35 minutes. Cool for about 10 minutes and enjoy!
He liked it!

6 comments:

  1. I love apple crumb pie! Yours looks and sounds delish! I'll have to try this. If your hubby liked it that much then I'm sure mine will too. :0)
    I've been looking thru your blog and love it. You have some great sounding recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Michelle! Johnny definitely devoured this pie (I think he ate well over half of it this past week), so it should be a safe bet for your sweetie, too :-)

    I love your blog, too, been getting some awesome meal ideas from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm making this for the 2x. thank you! we love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Anonymous, that makes me so happy! Glad to know you enjoy it, thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made this without the base cos in a hurry and add organic blueberries replacing the sugar with agave and raw honey, and the earth balance with coconut oil.

    It was delicious. thanks so much for the recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This pie is in the oven as I type! I decided to try making it with coconut oil instead of Earth Balance. I will let you know how it turns out. Hopefully not gross! Lol. I'll be pretty mad at myself if I screwed up the recipe. : )

    ReplyDelete