February 10, 2012

Tofu Scramble Two Ways

Okay, I really don't know why it took me so long to make a tofu scramble at home. I love eating them out at restaurants (Blue Willow in Tucson makes my fave), but for some reason I was really hesitant to make my own. I guess I thought it would be difficult, but nothing could be further from the truth!

I had some extra firm tofu, spinach and mushrooms in the fridge one night and I was trying to figure out what to make for dinner. I decided to go for it and tackle the tofu scramble once and for all. After consulting a few recipes on the netz, I headed into the kitchen determined to defeat my opponent. And I succeeded! So much so that I made another one just a few days later. These are definitely going into the rotation.

Not only do these scrambles come together quickly, they are really versatile. Like I said, the first time I used mushroom and spinach - a classic combo - and kept the seasonings to what would compliment those flavors. The second time, I planned to add it to a breakfast burrito, so wanted to punch it up a bit. I added lots of diced red pepper, onions, more cumin than the first time. They both came out great! In the future, I think I'll try adding some Mediterranean flavors (kalmata olives, roasted red peppers) and serve alongside hummus, pita, and Greek salad. OR you could mix in Soyrizo, potatoes, and diced tomatoes and serve it with flour tortillas and avocado. If it's good enough for scrambled eggs, it's good enough for scrambled tofu. And don't be fooled into thinking tofu scrambles are only for breakfast. They're full of protein, but they're not too heavy, so it's the perfect fit for dinner. Besides, breakfast for dinner has always been one of my favorite things.

One tip: the drier your tofu, the more it will brown in the skillet. Once you remove the tofu from the package and drain it, be sure to press it for at least 20 minutes to get the water out. I do this by wrapping the block of tofu in a few paper towels and setting it on a plate. Then I place another plate on top and add some heavy objects - canned goods, a jar of pasta sauce - on top of that plate.

Johnny ate both of these right up! I had to coax him into eating the breakfast burrito - he doesn't like tater tots if you can believe it. But even he couldn't deny that the crispy potatoes, tofu scramble, and cool, creamy guacamole inside a warm tortilla was a little piece of heaven...


The makings of a damn fine breakfast burrito. YUM.

Mexican Style Tofu Scramble
(Makes 8 breakfast burritos)

1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 red pepper, stem and seeds removed and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 block extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Heat your olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and red pepper and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for a minute more. Cut the tofu into large chunks and add to the skillet. Break it up with a spatula so that it resembles scrambled eggs. Add your spices and toss to ensure they are evenly distributed. Continue cooking for about 10 minutes, allowing the tofu to get browned a bit. (A metal spatula works best for keeping the browned parts intact.) If you aren't seeing any browning, increase the heat a bit and continue cooking for a few minutes.

Serve with warm tortillas, tater tots, and guacamole!

Crappy cell phone pic! This is what happens when you are too hungry to take a proper picture.
Spinach and Mushroom Tofu Scramble
Serves 6

1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced
½ pint of mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 block extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 cups fresh spinach

Heat your olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and mushrooms and cook for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for a minute more. Cut the tofu into large chunks and add to the skillet. Break it up with a spatula so that it resembles scrambled eggs. Add your spices and toss to ensure they are evenly distributed. Continue cooking for about 10 minutes, allowing the tofu to get browned a bit. (A metal spatula works best for keeping the browned parts intact.) If you aren't seeing any browning, increase the heat a bit and continue cooking for a few minutes. Turn off the heat and add in the spinach. Stir in and allow to wilt for a few minutes.

I served mine with roasted sweet potatoes and a toasted Food for Life Brown Rice English muffin spread with Earth Balance. Those muffins are really good, BTW!

2 comments:

  1. These look great! I'll have to give them a shot. Btw, saw this yummy recipe for crispy kale chips from BUST magazine and thought you might want to try them out. You should let them know about your blog too..

    http://www.bust.com/blog/2012/02/09/kale-chips-put-em-in-your-face-hole.html?utm_source=BUSTline&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=BUSTline+2.16.12&utm_content=breerichmond%40gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bree! I'm completely obssessed with tofu scrambles, I think you'd like them, too. I actually have made kale chips once and they were pretty good! They were a bit more oily than I'd like, I prefer just steaming a bunch of kale and shoving it in my mouth by the fistful (I mean forkful). Also - MASSAGED KALE SALADS. Have you ever tried one of those? Soooo good.

    ReplyDelete